2017: A Year in Review

9:45 PM



2017 was... quite a year, to say the least. A lot happened, and it seemed to come and go right before our eyes. But it's around the new year that I think it's good to reflect back on the past 365 days and really think about everything that made up that year, the moments that especially stood out for each of us. They don't even necessarily need to be these grand milestones, either! Whatever you accomplished or that will stand out in your mind when you look back on 2017, I think it's important to document it...

... as I will be doing now.


This year...

This year was the year that I truly felt connected to my generation—and where I have never felt more proud of our combined strength and determination through any form of adversity. 

Untitled



It was the year me and my mom took a day trip to Port Angeles, a seaside town I've always wanted to explore...

Untitled Untitled
P8191627


...and yes, where we visited some awesome bookstores while we were there.

Untitled
Untitled


portnewsandbooks5
portnewsandbooks1


It was the year I learned the value in donating books to help out my local library! 


PA221678

 (And I had... a lot to donate.)


It was the year I discovered The Lumberjanes, which has become my favorite comic series and one of my favorite book series overall. 


Untitled

Untitled


It was the year that I got to spend two weeks with this little nugget.


Untitled Untitled


And through this house-sitting stay-cation, it's given me a glimpse into what it's really like to be out on your own, to be in your own solitude, and to have a house to nurture and call yours. I'm looking forward to that day more than ever now...


Untitled Untitled


It was the year of discovering Society6!

Untitled
Untitled



It was the year I got my first pair of glasses since I was sixteen years old.
Untitled


Oh yeah, and it was also the year I discovered that I maaaay have a newfound obsession with buying glasses online.

Untitled



It was the year where I read... A LOT. And truly embraced the introverted bookworm I am.

Untitled
Untitled


It was the year where I was reminded of just how much I love the fall season.

Untitled

Untitled



It was the year where sometimes the beauty of working in the city made up for my long and dreadful commute

Untitled
Untitled


On that note... it was a year filled with public transportation!

Untitled

Untitled


And sometimes it revealed itself to not be so bad...
Untitled



And this year, I decided to give myself a little christmas gift by trying Owlcrate for the first time! 

Untitled
Untitled



This was also the year I met Moses the camel, who completely stole my heart.


Untitled


It was the year I accidentally created the christmas dragon cookie and it turned out to be the best happy little accident ever.

Untitled



It was the year that we got a WHITE CHRISTMAS, which we haven't had in years.


Untitled


Untitled

Untitled



And yes, I treasured every magical moment of that day.


* * *

While there's so much about this year that I can capture through photos, of course there were other pivotal moments of 2017 that couldn't be captured with a camera but that were still so life-changing for me. 

On top of everything, this was the year where I got my first real, full-time job and truly understood the day-to-day grind of working 9-to-5. Through this job, I've gained invaluable work experience and met some incredible people who I continue to enjoy working with today. Most importantly, I've been fortunate to save so much money, and for the first time in my life, I actually know what it's like to feel financially stable. And I gotta say, it's a pretty great feeling.

This year was the year where I made the conscious decision that... maybe I don't want to go into book publishing like I thought I did. Who knows. Never say never, right? But either way, I've discovered that I don't need to have landed a job in publishing to still feel connected to the publishing industry all on my own. I've realized that I can drive my love of books into a life passion in various ways through blogging and staying on top of new releases and engaging on ongoing discussions in the book community. And through it all, I'll still feel just as fulfilled and work just as hard—whether I land a publishing job in New York or not.

It felt like this year more than ever I opened myself up to new experiences, from enduring a nightmarish and sketchy editorial internship to going place to place in Seattle, trying to find that one place that feels like home (Not there yet. Spoiler alert: rent is expensive. But I know I have to give it time and I'm hoping 2018 will be the year.) If there's one thing I've learned in 2017 more than anything, it's that I'm gradually figuring out what I want and don't want out of life. And with that, I'm feeling more certain of what I do want, and that much more determined to achieve it.

2017 is a thing of the past. Now I'm anxiously anticipating what 2018 will bring... 

Please be kind to me.
Danielle





You Might Also Like

0 comments